PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Raymond Baxter dies, aged 84
View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2006, 20:13
PPRuNe Pop
Cool Mod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have only just heard of Ray's passing. While it is not a shock, because of his ill health, it is nonetheless a moment for those who knew him well, as I did, who find it hard to accept.

I have known him since 1977 during the days, months and years of Leisure Sport. He was much loved by all the team and staff there and enjoyed the many social hours we spent at what we called the "Big House" at Thorpe Park.

I invited him to at our Gatbash at the very place we are having the next one, at the Thistle hotel in Horley. He amused everyone with his brilliant repartee and then enjoyed the evening chatting to our friend John Farley and many others. It was only when his wonderful secretary, Margaret, said they should get back to his Thameside home that he bade farewell after midnight.

I will miss him personally, but there are perhaps millions who will miss him too, and remember his fantastic ability as a broadcaster. Others will remember his days as a very special Spitfire pilot who led many daring raids at very low level over Belgium.

RIP Ray, your memory will last forever.