PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DURHAM AIRPORT - 2
View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2006, 11:08
JKP505

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This whole WW thing is despicable, what the hell are they thinking? Anyway, although it is a setback, I'm sure MME will move on to even greater things from this. Lets face it, WW isn't the greatest lo-co in the market in terms of diversification is it?

I think by process of elimination, it will be either GSM or BE that will come onto the scene, of those, it'll probably be the former rather than the latter. TOM is unlikely, they don't tend to have two large bases next to each other - CWL, EMA/CVT, LTN are preferred over their traditional competitors BRS, BHX and STN. Although TOM are based at all 7, it is the first four where they have their 'mixed charter/scheduled' services. Given NCL doesn't seem to be able to sustain EZY, that one is a definate non-starter from MME. LS probably would be better suited in developing the bases they have already, BFS and NCL seem to be in line for significant expansion. Nevertheless, Jet2 might like to wrap up the northern market by taking on MME? FR, maybe, as they seem to have lost interest in NCL as well, but i'm not sure their current route structure would fit in with what MME needs, i.e. - no ALC, AGP, PMI and I can't imagine FR being keen on a domestic LGW service.

A good call could be ZB, a bit more upmarket than the lo-cos, but probably the North Yorkshire area is a bit more upmarket than the T&W area, I wouldn't be surprised to see ZB doing ALC, BCN, AGP and PMI.

BE at the moment don't have (enough) suitable a/c to operate the longer sectors, which returns us to GSM. If they get hold of a couple more B736s, I would think this would be a no-brainer.

I know in the short term it may not seem like it, but the real loser out of all of this will be WW. I'm sure when prospective airlines see the terminal plans or the finished product, they'll be delighted to service the airport. Here's hoping there will not be too many, if any employment casualties. Good luck all concerned.