PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Taking the wrong a/c
View Single Post
Old 14th Sep 2006, 22:07
jondc9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dear speedpig:

You are quite right, I was wrong to take said aircraft. As I explained, it was the only plane my airline had at the aerodrome. it was the type I was current in and the only destination within hours of takeoff time was the one I was going to.(as well as pax, luggage etc.)

And what I DO check on preflight walkaround is stuff like: rivets, tires, static discharge wicks, cowling fasteners, pitot tubes, and about 300 other things.

The "N" number, while outside on the fuselage, is also on the instrument panel, or what YOU might call the dashboard.

Basic airmanship allowed us to arrive safely, ahead of schedule, under fuel burn and in one piece.

Believing that it was the correct plane might have been anyone's judgement in the circumstances I've listed.

Basic airmanship is not the same as basic book-keeping. As one of the best pilots I have ever flown with said: Some pilots are good at paperwork, some at flying...very rare to find someone good at both.

And in this situation, which I bring to the discussion, what would have been better, taking off in the wrong plane from LEX or taking off from the wrong runway?

It is good for all of us to bring our little stories to the discussion, perhaps others will learn from them.

jon (not southwest)