PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas pilots refuse shoe security check
View Single Post
Old 14th Sep 2006, 17:38
PENKO

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Taildragger67
Heard at a security checkpoint, from the North American pilot of a large Asian airline-operated widebody to the 'security' operative, after he'd had his nail clippers taken:
"Buddy, when I'm in the left-hand seat, it's my airplane. If I want it to go into the water, it's going into the water, no matter how long fingernails my fingernails are."
One suspects he could add "whether I'm wearing my shoes or not" to that.
I shall try to summarise both sides of the argument:
i. a pilot does not need other weaponry to down aircraft. That has been tragically proven.
ii. the security people are doing their jobs, and have probably been told that if they don't they'll be sacked (and hence won't be able to pay their mortgage). Blaming them is shooting the messenger.
Fair summary?
Almost.
There is absolutely no reason for the pilot to say: why search me, I have a crash axe.

Does the security man say: Why search me, I can let my Taleban friend through unsearched if I mean any harm.

Does the cleaner say: Why search me, I have complete unsupervised acces to the whole aircraft and no one searches my vacuum cleaner anyway.

Does the caterer say: Why search me, if I want to I can spoil the crew food.

Does the firefighter say: Why search me, I have a big red truck.

Does, does, does...
Use your imagination. Pilots are not that special a breed around the airport. We all must play the same game.