PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mess Pranks
Thread: Mess Pranks
View Single Post
Old 14th Sep 2006, 15:32
Cumbrian Fell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anti Collisdo flares are a must...

A few years ago as a JO I decided that the best way to dispose of a marine anti-col flare was to ignite it at a Northumbrian FC base (sorry, station) after a dining in. Suffice to say, the short, and rather rotund stn cdr didn't think that this was a particularly amusing stunt as the magnesium flare bounced along the carpet and (luckily) into the garden. He was apoplectic (yes - he did subsequently have a heart attack) because he was hosting the Chief Executive of the Northumbrian Fire Service at the time.
For my obvious sin of injecting life into a FC function, I was immediately awarded a QR1074 (Formal Reprove) and sent to Leeming in disgrace. The write up began:
[Cumbian Fell] you are rapidly becoming aburden on the Royal Air Force'. I can chuckle now, as a senior officer....
Interesting, though, how stories like this get a life of their own. Some years later a group of Baby FCs were regailing me of a story about how half the Mess burned down and a number of people were permanently blinded when a radar anti-collision flare was released by a chopped FC. At least the chopped bit was correct, thank f&$k!