PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The 160 knot thread
View Single Post
Old 14th Sep 2006, 15:08
AirNoServicesAustralia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok one thing at a time. To the guy complaining about getting "pushed" down to be FL270 20 NM Nth of ORSAR. Have a chat to some A330 pilots at your airline who are complaining about being held up at FL270 20 NM nth of ORSAR. If we let everyone fly their own profile we would have Emirates A330's dragging their belly at 10 thousand 60 NM from touchdown while the 767 behind is FL250 70 NM from touchdown. You guys ever tried to hold your spacing with 15,000 ft difference in the height, and subsequently about 120 KT's difference in ground speed. Second big consideration in getting you maintaining 20 NM nth of ORSAR is cos Tehran has a history of assigning to aircraft on top of each other both descent and "inshallah" it will work. They then hand the S**T fight over to us with no separation. If you doubt it ask some of your fellow pilots who have first hand been on the recieving end of Tehran when they have "lost the plot". Because of this history we require all aircraft to or from Tehran to be in level flight maintaining a vertically separated standard level. It may cost you extra fuel, but whats the cost of the alternative?

Now onto the one about Dubai controlling the hold. First off for them to control the hold wouldn't they first have to actually look out that far??? Look they are welcome to have the hold but the fact that some nights the hold is up to FL300 and mixing with the overflyers may make that a little difficult. If you have a problem with how we manage the hold you tell us please. Currently we get told by Dubai what spacing they require. We hold you to achieve that spacing. We hand the aircraft off spaced by that amount. Now if Dubai know better when to bring aircraft out of the hold, maybe they could enlighten us and we could do it. As I said though Dubai is more than welcome to take our holds, but how that would help, I'm not sure, and I'm not sure they actually want the hold.

Finally about flying 169 KT's when told to fly 160 KT's. If someone flys 259 Kt's when I have told them to fly 250 Kt's and due to this 9 Kt's closing I lose my spacing, I won't care, but the guy "cheating" will be given vectors at best, and holds at worst. It's their choice. Easier all round to tell us you can't do it, and we will see what we can do.

Anyway sorry for the thread creep, back to 160 KT's on final.