PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - U.S. vs. European dispatching
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2001, 11:32
gema

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Karl,
Forget the put you down answers. In a nutshell, both the FAA and ICAO have their merits. The ideal is to have both in which case you/your company would be allowed to dispatch N.. registerd ACFT. The FAA requires that the flight is dispatched with both the Capt(PIC) and Dispatcher in agreement that the flight is planned according to the regulations. This is legislated in the USA. Most other countries still follow the UK CAA which puts the total responsibility on the Capt(PIC) to ensure that the Flight is dispatched according to the regulations.

There has long been the debate about which is the better option. There is merit in both systems which is why I advocate both.

In general when talking about major airlines policy towards Flight Dispatch/Plnning/ Control, you need to understand that the lager the airline, the more HUBS/BASES it will have. Some smaller HUBS/BASES the FOO/FDO (Flt Ops Off/Flt Disp Off) will have different roles. Some will only do pure dispatch and maintain operational control within a defined Aera of Responsibility- this is typically what happens in the US. Others will have the responsibitilities as outlined by WACO.

The ICAO syllabus in order to comply with ICAO Doc 7192 Part D-3 (1998) is ankered on these subject modules:
Aviation Meteorology
Navigation General
Radio and Radio Aids
Aircraft Performance
Aircraft Weight and Balance
Flight Planning

The course is about ten weeks long depending on where you go. Drop me mail and I will put you in contact with the right people if you are serious.

Pay, once again depends on where you opt to work. I have made good living (some 28yrs) in the airline game. From Cabin attendent to Dispatcher and management. There is realy never a dull moment in the airline industry and there are all sorts.
Advice-
1. Get yourself a good sense of Humor
2. Get qualified
3. Maintain your integrity- after all you are also a profesional
4. Never ever forget that you plan everything on the safe side of the curve and then you look at the economics.

Good Luck in your endevours. Its a great life of hours and hours and hours of hard work puntuated by moments of good and bad humor.

[ 31 August 2001: Message edited by: gema ]