PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATC bashing on African Pilot web site
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2006, 22:22
EltorroLoco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATC bashing on African Pilot web site

This is the artice in the newsletter Vol. 5 No. 37

Phoebus Apollo photo shoot on Sunday

Visitors to the Harvard Cafe' were treated to an exciting photo hoot (sic) at Rand Airport where we parked two DC-9s and a DC-3 on the concrete ramp right outside the historic terminal building for a photo sortie. Hennie Delport flew me in a Robinson helicopter to capture these exciting images for future marketing purposes. Rand Airport's ATCs were very professional as usual in accommodating the Robbie 22.

However, the ATCs at Johannesburg International Airport leave much to be desired. One of the DC-9s had to reposition to Rand Airport for the photo session, but was kept at the holding point for 45min burning expensive Jet A1. Do ATCs realise that this aircraft probably burnt more fuel in value waiting for a departure slot than some of them earn in a month? Phoebus Apollo often repositions various aircraft types to and from FAJS to FAGM without any delays when suitably qualified controllers are on duty. The VFR flight takes all of three minutes, yet the frustration of having to deal with controllers who do not understand the logistics of aircraft. Unfortunately several people were delayed as a direct result of the controller's inability to manage a slightly unusual situation.

Please note that the above is not intended to 'have a go' at South African ATCs; indeed many ATCs are good friends of African Pilot. However, some ATCs have great difficulty understanding the cost involved in keeping aircraft airborne. In addition, the unnecessary time wasted at the holding points is a huge cost to the operator as well as being very bad for aircraft engines. It appears the better performance and accountablility is what is required from ATNS management from individual air traffic controllers.

This is such a shockingly bad piece of jounalism from Mr Athol Franz that I scarcely know where to start.

Firstly, as a journalist, I think you owe it to your readers to get the facts straight. The time from start to airborne for the DC9 was in fact 22min. With RWY 21R for departure this is quite respectable. The flight was VFR, which means it has lower priority that scheduled flights, slot booked or not.
After the DC9 took off, it did an unauthorised orbit on base for 29 at Rand further delaying the other aircraft out of Johannesburg.

Also on the subject of jounalism, I think it is a disgrace to use your well respected name and magazine to complain about ATC service. You come across as an unprofessional, disgruntled bore. The correct way to address your concerns is to telephone the centre concerned and request an explanation. The controller concerned is in fact the most experienced one in the tower and most FAJS tower ATCs first serve their training time at Rand before they move to FAJS. To imply that FAJS tower is staffed by unsuitably qualified ATCs is almost criminal. Your magazine is not your soap-box.

On the subject of being a pilot, while you state that you are not intending to 'have a go' at ATC, you most cetainly are, and you may take this as 'having a go' at you. You clearly have no concept of ATC and you may also take this as an invite to come to FAJS and have some of these concepts explained. This will not make you profficient at ATC any more than visiting a garage will make you a mechanic, but it may help with some perspective and insight.

I read your publication often and the standard is much higher than this trash. I think you should stick to your field when reporting and rather provide objective views on aircraft and events. I will assume that you had a momentaly lapse of reason when you decided to print this article and will return to the professional standard which is expected with your reputation and role in aviation.