PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Meteor Accident Statistics
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2006, 16:51
luffers79

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fixing ones next posting !!

[quote]
[quote=Bof;2846848]Henry and Beagle are right. But I think we enjoyed "the best" on 216 Sqn from late 56 to the end of 58. When 216 joined the jet world in Aug 56 with the Comet 2, the powers that be decided that the captains should all be experienced above average piston transport captains and all the co's should have at least one tour on jets.

Comets !!
Around !955/56 ? we were all told that the days of fixing postings were over. Remember ?
A year or so later, whilst on a skiing holiday, I stopped for a rest & to admire the view alongside a fellow skier. We chatted & he turned out to be "an ex Transport Command Trapper" - a Wing Commander then working at Air Ministry. He asked me what I wanted to do next posting. (Flying jobs were scarce due to Mr. Duncan Sandys). I was hoping to do Vampires at CFS. He said that should I ever want to change my mind & go onto the Comet (!!) then give him a ring !!
A couple of years later ? whilst at Valley,in the crewroom, on a whim, I telephoned A.M. & asked the switchboard if he was still there. I asked if he remembered the offer & was it still open ?!!. 5 minutes later he rang back (to my surprise & to my C.O.īs - who was now alongside me !!) and said that my Documents were now annotated for Comets next posting !! As always itīs "who you know".
Actually I got an airline job offer soon afterwards & left the service. Flying was never the same again.