PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - O'Leary v Evan Cullen on RTE1
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2006, 14:33
CamelhAir

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't see it myself, but have talked to many who did, most outside aviation. Without question, in the minds of the public, Ryanair won. Now, granted all thought MOL's performance was disgusting, thuggish and cheap, particularly the personsalised digs at EC and also his refusal to do anything but shout over everyone else, however the one thing that stuck in everyones minds is "18 hours per week." He didn't win because he put forward any sort of coherent or logical argumenst (how could he, there aren't any) but simply because his salient claim of the 18 hours per week went totally unchallenged. It's such neat soundbite and encapsulates everything MOL would like the public to believe about pilots.
I completely agree with EC's general thoughts on FR, but perhaps this was not the right platform to try to articulate them. Easy pickings were to be had by rubbishing MOL's lies, so looks like an opportunity lost. And it pains me to say this, as I think EC is doing a great job with REPA etc.
Anyone with any knowledge of pilots lives knows that fatigue is endemic, how the hell can it be so difficult to get the point across to the public??
Apparently David Learmont put up a good show and the one positive that came out of all this (apart from the fact that MOL came across as a total thug) is that those I have talked to are very curious as to what the IAA are up to (or not as the case is) to be slated so by him.
However, I fear that realistically nothing will come of this and once more the holes in the cheese are a little more lined up than they need to be. It's not until MOL finally succeeds in breaking an airframe (and how close we've been too many times in the last year or 2) that anyone will care.
Finally, from the Irish Times today:
"In a statement, the Irish Aviation Authority (IAA) said it carried out "extensive and detailed surveillance on all Irish airlines".
Grand so lads, no need to worry then, those thorough and impartial individuals at the Ryanair Aviation Authority have it sorted.