PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Meteor Accident Statistics
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2006, 14:05
Bof

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Meteor Stats etc

Henry and Beagle are right. But I think we enjoyed "the best" on 216 Sqn from late 56 to the end of 58. When 216 joined the jet world in Aug 56 with the Comet 2, the powers that be decided that the captains should all be experienced above average piston transport captains and all the co's should have at least one tour on jets.

The Comet was originally lifed at 5 years, so the Capts would do a nominal five year tour with the RHS-ers only doing two years before returning to the jet fighter/bomber/training world. We had around twenty 2nd-pilots and five co-pilots. The difference being the 2nd Ps were not "catted " on the Comet and were only supposed to handle the aircraft when airborne either on auto pilot or under captain supervision!! T/o and ldgs were Capts only (unless your Capt allowed you to make an unofficial one). The five Co-pilots did hold "cats" as they were to cover any Capt wastage or attrition!! I know this may sound incredible now but that's how it was. Remember there were No - repeat No, jet military or civil transport aircraft up there(not even the 707) flying anywhere in the world at this time, no upper airways and the world above FL250 was a lonely place outside Europe and N America.

However, the 2nd Ps had to hold jet IRs and we had threeMeteor 7s on the Sqn inventory for the guys to keep up the 1st P time and obtain their ratings. Incredible? Obviously they took rock bottom position for servicing. Comets first naturally, but they were a jet flying club for the 2nd Ps. we had our own QFI and I was the IRE (even sent me to Benson on an IRE course). We authorised ourselves and basically could fly anywhere in the UK. I don't think we ever got all three airborne but we certainly often flew around as a pair and spent many a lunch visiting old mates..

When I left at the end of 58 it was announced that Comet 4s were arriving and the 2s were no longer held to a five year life. All 2nd Ps became Co Ps and held Transport Cats. Unfortunately they took the Meteors away and spoilt our fun and I cried!! Can you imagine that happening today! I suppose most of the "then" jet world regarded Transport Command as a lost cause as a posting, but the Comet was a bit like a posting ten years ago to fly Concorde. Happy days!