PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Piano Burning
Thread: Piano Burning
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2006, 10:55
Pressonitis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Piano Burning

Was involved a couple of times with a certain Jag Sqn out of Norfolkshire who had a habit of shipping an upright piano each time they went on a det. Piano was for burning at the det farewell party. The first encounter was when I noticed the piano on a pallet ready for loading. Slightly puzzled, I checked the load manifest -no piano listed. Discussed with the movers & sqn rep and advised that if not on the manifest, it doesn't go on the aircraft. Left them to get on with the loading. Had a final check down the back prior to pax loading, no piano listed on the manifest and no sight of a piano in the freight load.

On taxiing out after off-load at the destination, was somewhat surprised to see one upright piano being wheeled into Jag sqn det hangar.... Ba$$tards..., how did they manage that?

Anyway, about a year later in support of the same sqn on another det. This time, I spoke with the movers who were accompanying us to make sure that no pianos were "smuggled" aboard. On arrival at said sqn airfield dispersal, all freight was laid out ready for the movers to inspect prior to loading. Keen to try and spot any disguised piano - it was a matter of pride now, I walked round with the mover team leader, and we agreed that given the amount of kit being presented, there was no way any piano could be included in the load. Happy with this I wandered off and let them get on with the loading. On returning the loading was almost complete, and mover team leader was adamant that there was no piano on board. All that remained to load was some baggage, and that would be loaded on the ramp. Happy with that, I left the movers to complete the paperwork.

Arriving at our destination, we had a night stop, so did not see the off-load. However, next morning prior to departing, I was in the sqn det hangar and spotted THE PIANO! Hats off to them...., they had done it again!

Suspect that they had dismantled the piano and shipped in pieces in the various boxes and containers, then re-assembled. Either that, or they hide it under the crew bags that were presented on a ready to load weighed and netted pallet, rather than the usual loose bag loads for stacking on the ramp.

Interested to hear if any PPruners were involved in moving sqn pianos on other dets.