PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates
Thread: Emirates
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2006, 09:10
OzyOS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Importance of Swimming

Just in response to Poppins regarding not needing to know how to swim, to become a Flight Attendant:

Being able to swim is extreemly important to the role of a Flight Attendant. I seriously think it is unwise to lie about skills required by an airline that you may not have obtained yet.

Although you will be wearing a life Jacket when performing your ditching drills, it will be extreemly obvious to your trainers on the day that you can not swim.
The drill usually requires you to be comfortable jumping into the water and swimming a certain distance whilst pulling another person, keeping their head above the water. Although the Jacket will keep you afloat, it can be suprisingly difficult (even for qualified swimmers) to carrying out this task, because the jacket is big and bulky.
What would happen if you were involved in a real life ditching situation and (god forbid) you dont have a jacket on in time, and whoops, you cant swim! Never say "it will never happen to me"......just think about it. Not only are you responsible for yourself on the aircraft you are also responsible for many others safe return.

So my advise (and I use to be an airline trainer) is never lie about your skills, rather go out and obtain them before you go for the interviews, because the consequences will be far greater (not to mention embarassing) if Emirates have already invested money into your training, uniform, accomodation etc and then while you are there they find out you really cant swim.

On a happier note! Congratulations to Poppins and everyone that has been successfull with their Emirates application and I wish you Geetha the best of luck with your application, please feel free to PM me if you are unsure about anything else and I will do my best to help you out.

Happy flying