PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Slot times and Stars in Darwin
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2006, 08:10
RENURPP

Received 33 Likes on 8 Posts
Guys, and gals, (Darwin ATC)

Just to make my point a bit clearer, there may still be some confusion.

The only reason you should, (in my oppinion) be issuing 29 NDB approach instead of the 29 VOR off a STAR is that it is part of the published STAR, the VOR is not.

last night we were not issued a STAR and were radar vectored then given direct to FEEGS HWS then the 29 NDB.

In this case it should revert back to the AIP and I guess MATs priority of ILS, LLZ, VOR, then NDB last of all.

It wasn't a problem as the FMC basically flies the approach. how ever in a bugsmasher using the NDB for navigation, especially in the wet season the dam thing points at the closest TS, wich quite often hangs around over the top of HWS anyway, but makes the NDB's effectively useless for navigation.

It was quite busy on the radio last night but alot of the calls were not needed.
some body previously asked the question and I wonder as well.

Why rather than issue continual steps down don't you clear us to a lower level "not below DME steps"
Last night it went some thing lile this.
ABC descend F140.
F140 ABC
ABC approaching F140
ABC descend 130
ABC F130
ABC maintaining F130
ABC descend 10,000
10,000 left F130 ABC etc etc. Obviously we were not the only ones. This takes up a hell of a lot of radio time.

I am assuming some not all of the time the levels are due to CTA steps, as most of the time there are no aircraft around, within at least 40nm anyway, as thats the distance our TCAS can see.