PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod plane crash in Afghanistan - Condolences thread (no tech or update info)
Old 12th Sep 2006, 22:16
Judge Rembrandt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My thoughts, heartfelt condolences and sympathy go out to all the loved ones; the families, friends and colleagues of all the crew who perished aboard Nimrod XV230. The RAF Kinloss ‘Family’ will look after our own, as we have done in the past. It will take a long time for the pain to ease, but ease it will – just as the boys would want it to.

I knew Al, Steve J, and Gareth from ‘guesting’ on 206/42 Sqn crews various and was always impressed by them. I brushed shoulders with Steve S and Leigh as they came through training and thought what great crew members they would make. Jez and Ade just always seemed to be in maritime and always a pleasure to work with. SBT, Q, GaryA & I were all crewed together for years. Always getting one another into – and out of – scrapes various! Ben ‘Tapper’ and John L were students here at Cranwell – Bright, young guys who were fun to instruct and be with. I am proud to have served with you guys and miss you. Will join you in the ‘scruffs’ at a later time.

Not to forget Marine Joseph Windall or Cpl Oliver Dicketts. Having worked with some of your colleagues in the past, would have been consummate professionals and fit right in with the crew banter and environment.

Many thanks to all concerned who brought our guys home today.

The crew : Your families should be proud of who you were, what you were, and what you achieved. You served your country and like so many others, have made that ultimate sacrifice.

From another time, when so many other fine young men paid the price for our freedom:

I dream now of another time,
Of soaring wings and slipstream whine,
Of airscrew arcs and engine drone,
And cloudy canyons I have known.

When towering columns split the night,
With brilliant beams of searching light,
Then in just moments we became,
Small insects, round a naked flame.

Time after time, we saw the cost,
To all who fought so well, yet lost,
For them a fiery plunge through space,
In another time, another place.

Time has not marred my grim old frame,
To your fading eyes I am the same,
Look well, all strangers standing there,
For I am the mighty Lancaster.

(From ‘Showpiece – Lancaster’ by Walter Scott 630 Sqn)
JP - Ex 206

Last edited by Judge Rembrandt; 13th Sep 2006 at 06:27.