PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Armed Forces Federation (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2006, 22:07
Chugalug2

Received 236 Likes on 72 Posts
quote=Green Bottle 2;2845290]Chug,
my personal experience is that the commanders at the local level are indeed doing their job right. It is however a fact that we do not have a voice on a national political level. Yes CAS, CDS et al could rock the boat, however they work for the government who can at that level sack them on a whim. You can throw yourself on your sword but once. Having a body that can represent the service personnel in open forum and fight their corner without being politically manipulated would I think be an advantage to those serving.GB2[/quote]

GB I’m afraid I profoundly disagree; the voice of the RAF at a national political level is the CAS, and his senior commanders. Yes, they can be sacked on a whim, and yes, they can throw themselves on their sword only once, and should the occasion demand, that is exactly what they should do. That is their compact with those that they lead, and their responsibility. Political interference in the chain of command, the scandal of kit shortages and shortcomings, the impositions of PC laden investigations replacing COs summary powers, all should have resulted in resignations in protest, but they didn’t! We are promised a long hard struggle ahead by the SoS for Defence, 10 years has been mentioned, which probably means double it and add some! At times like this you have to be ruthless, the deadwood needs cutting away to be replaced with those who know their responsibilities. We are at war, and bypassing the chain of command, thus pointing up its inadequacy, without reforming it will be bad for morale and bad for discipline. Don’t treat the symptoms treat the cause!