PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Slingsby Firefly's
View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2006, 20:34
alpha_lover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was glad to see this thread and read so much sensible comment regarding the T67 and it's characteristics. Sadly, there is so much rubbish spoken about this aircraft which is so often ill-informed speculation by people who really don't understand the subject very well. After all, club house stories about 'scary' aircraft tend to gather more interest than others I suppose.

I have spent many hundreds of hours instructing both beginner and advanced aeros in a T67M including spin awareness and have spun this aircraft (and many others) several hundred times in just about every conceivable mode - including several 'no drama' recoveries from some less usual situations, including inverted.

As Beagle said, not the best aeros machine by any standard but it does do what it does very well provided you prepared to accept what it is (if that makes sense). It sums up the saying 'easy to fly, hard to fly well' very well indeed.

Unlike so many light aircraft around today which have had the 'aircraft' designed out of them, such as the 172 for example, this aircraft, like the Bulldog, is unstable enough to exhibit all of the 'traditional' characteristics of the 'text book' aircraft. Such as dropping a wing and spinning in a properly stabilised autorotation. This makes it an ideal training platform for the kind of teaching I do whilst remaining a comparatively benign aircraft by all other accounts.

With any aircraft like this it will give back as good as it gets if provoked but remains friendly for long enough to give the uninitiated a little breathing space - the Bulldog was the same as are many others. With a little experimentation it will treat you to a whole number of varying spin modes and recovery responses which is just fine provided the handler is able to recognise and respond appropriately. I suspect that a number of spin related accidents in the T67 have been due to botched recoveries often as a result of 'non-familiar' entry techniques and the resultant spin mode although different to what was intended was not fully recognised for what it was.

Having said that though, I have yet to find a mode that doesn't respond eventually to the standard POH recovery technique - it just sometimes takes a little more patience and persistence as one other poster mentioned.

This willingness to spin is something that I would consider a redeeming feature in many ways. If you like flicking figures then with a little patience and practice you can pull off some very complex stuff in a T67M and 1/2 to 1 turn precision spins are easily accomplished. Believe it or not a one turn vertical upline flick is also quite straight forward with a little practice. If you want unlimited, get an Edge or Extra, if you want predictable intermediate then a T67 260M is fine. Slow roll rate and draggy ailerons come with the territory but are by no means show stoppers. Ask Alan Wade!

AL