PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airport Security (Merged) - Effects on Crew/Staff
Old 12th Sep 2006, 19:14
ATCO1987

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok heres my 2p's worth (as airport security at a certain regional airport)...

Dont argue with or blame the security staff, we don't make the rules; DfT do and we comply with them. We cannot change/override them. Just stop packing the banned items (e.g. liquids, that includes lip glosses ladies!) it saves fussing.

Crew/Staff are NOT exempt, and if you start getting arrogant with us then you'll find yourself being clamped-down upon even more! We try to make things as quick and smooth as we can, whilst complying with the rules set for us. Please respect the fact we have a job to do, help us to help you! (The "but we were allowed to bring it through yesterday" routine doesnt work either, because the response will be along the lines of "well im on duty now and you aint taking it!")

As for identifying liquids, it is difficult as liquids are organic and are very often in plastic bottles which are also organic, thus show up the same colour as the bag itself, and any other organic content such as food, books etc. But it is manageable and theres no excuse if any security staff do not identify a liquid, no matter how small.

Nearly done..... we should all be singing from the same hymn sheet; into the RZ you can take SOLID food only. No liquids in ANY form (toothpaste, lighters, deodorant, gels, creams etc), unless prescribed medicine. Rules on sharp objects are the same as they were before. If you are based at an airport with a dedicated crew access point (like at the airport where I work) then if you happen to forget a liquid in your bag and you speak to the security staff nicely then they might let you pick it up when you return! We do... (I dont work for BAA though, maybe they arent as nice I dont know...)

Now, for passengers out there. DONT argue with us either because you'll get nowhere, only offloaded if you dont chill out. The rules are there to be adhered to, as I said; security staff cannot bend the rules. If you want to get tetchy with someone then contact the DfT!

FINALLY... Someone commented that they hope all airport staff are searched the same as passengers. Yes, anyone accessing the RZ (bar police officers, who have a warrant) are subject to search (even security staff).

Maybe Ive opened a can of worms, but I dont care .