PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airport Security (Merged) - Effects on Crew/Staff
Old 12th Sep 2006, 16:55
ambidextrous

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Devil Apocalypse Now?

It isn't the absurd dietary restrictions that concern me nor the lack of understanding of a modern airline pilot's lifestyle. What does concern me is the sight of heavily armed, flakjacketed policemen prowling the terminals of the London triangle of airports.
Are current aircrew not bothered by the daily sight of the Met.Police preparing for what seems to be "Apocalypse Now"? Has anybody asked what their 'rules of engagement' are? The Heckler & Koch is a machine-gun, this is an area suppression weapon, are the police seriously thinking of opening fire over the heads of passengers in a crowded airport terminal? Who are the potential enemy?, are the authorities seriously implying that they expect Al-Queda to storm the check-in counters?
If they don't,then daily we are witnessing intimidatory posturing on the part of the Met.Police & it should be stopped forthwith. The sight of armed police with their fingers hovering over triggers in the corridors of Heathrow frightens me more than the thought of Al-Queda does!
I have just returned from over two weeks flying around Europe & I haven't seen one flakjacketed/machine gun armed policeman. If the Continentals are happy with no flakjackets and a holstered pistol, why aren't the Met.Police?
Let's get back to normality, and normality is NO flakjacketed, machine-gun toting policemen in UK's major airports please.