View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2006, 04:18
Eden99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Qantas Super Election

11th September 2006 ID52-06

Attention all Qantas Long Haul and Australian Airlines Flight Attendants

SUPERANNUATION BOARD ELECTION

Michael Mijatov wrote to you last week and advised you that he was nominating for the vacant position on the Qantas Superannuation Board vacated by Gary Wilson.

Firstly, can I say that both Gary Wilson and his predecessor Rene Herbert did an outstanding job for Cabin Crew during their time in office.

As many of you would remember Rene was elected to the position when he was the Federal Secretary of the Union and continued in the Directors role until his retirement. Rene was the longest serving member- elected Director in the history of the Superannuation Plan

For those that are unaware, Superannuation is one of the most significant achievements of the Union Movement and as such Qantas Flight Attendant enjoyed a Superannuation Scheme long before it became compulsory in the 1990’s.

For most workers in Australia, Superannuation arose through Award based occupational superannuation. The provision of a minimum entitlement by legislation further assisted the position of those workers, particularly women and the lower paid, who previously did not have access to any superannuation benefit.

As the President of the FAAA, it is my pleasure to endorse Michael as a candidate for the Qantas Superannuation Board. Most of you would know that Michael and I have been personal friends since 1989 when Michael commenced flying with Qantas. Rarely does one meet a person with more personal integrity and courage than Michael. I can think of no other person who I would trust more to look after my Superannuation Benefits than Michael.

Michael is being supported and endorsed by both previous Cabin Crew Directors as well as Captain Ian Woods the President of AIPA (the pilots union) and current Director on the Superannuation board for Pilots.

Below are the personal endorsements aforementioned.

“It is well known throughout the financial services industry that the independence of Superannuation Trustee Directors is vital to the integrity of Australia's retirement savings industry. Your participation in the election of your chosen representative is your opportunity to help ensure that QSL provides its members with the management oversight all superannuation funds require. The willingness of corporate superannuation funds like QSL to provide not only sound investments and good administration, but also high levels of member service is often dependent on the willingness of the fund's member elected trustees to vote with courage and conviction on problematic issues that sometimes confront the Trustee.

As the President of the Australian and International Pilots Association (AIPA) I have got to know a number of Association and Union leaders who make up the Qantas Group of Unions and have worked with Michael Mijatov in his capacity as FAAA Secretary to help progress and resolve concerns that affect both cabin crew and flight crew. In my dealings with Michael, I have always found him to be open, honest and frank. Whilst such personal qualities may be thought to be wide spread, my experience is that they are not - people with courage and conviction are not easy to find. Whilst financial knowledge may be acquired, personal integrity can not, and without it, difficult and complex oversight issues may not get the scrutiny they require.

All Trustee Directors are required to be diligent, vigilant and to act in the best interests of the superannuants who have entrusted their retirement savings to their employer’s superannuation fund. In my experience, Michael has demonstrated the necessary personal qualities to be considered by you as a Superannuation Trustee Director. He clearly has what it takes to be an effective Trustee and I have no hesitation in recommending Michael to you for your consideration. Personally, I would be delighted to have Michael involved in the oversight of my Qantas Superannuation.

No matter whom you decide to support, your participation in the election process is vital. Please be sure to vote”. Capt Ian Woods Director Qantas Superannuation.

“Michael Mijatov has shown a keen interest in superannuation matters over the past 4 years and has always made himself available to discuss relevant issues.

His FAAA experience and familiarity with superannuation matters will be valuable when stepping into the trustee role.

Michael has always displayed to me a commitment to act in the best interests of all members and I am happy to endorse him as a candidate in this election.” - Gary Wilson BFA Flight Attendant (Former Director Qantas Superannuation).

“I write to recommend Michael Mijatov for the position of Member Elected Director of the Qantas Superannuation Plan.

This position requires someone who is prepared to work without reward for the benefit of all members. Michael has demonstrated his ability to do that.

It also requires a certain amount of financial nous. Michael has an Economics Degree.

A strong degree of fairness and equity is required. Michael has always demonstrated this skill.

It is vital to have a close relationship with the electorate and with the relevant Union. Michael is a Flight Attendant and is the Secretary of the International Division of the FAAA. He also works closely with the executive of the Domestic/Regional Division of the FAAA and understands the working conditions of Short Haul members.

Both before and after my retirement I have worked closely with Michael in the interest of the FAAA and this has given me the opportunity to know him well. In short, I consider that Michael has all the attributes necessary to fulfil this role. I recommend him to you wholeheartedly.” Rene Herbert former Federal Secretary AICCA and Director Qantas Superannuation.

Ballot papers will be issued shortly for the Superannuation election and it is my hope that you will endorse Michael Mijatov as our next Director of the Qantas Superannuation board to protect our retirement incomes into the future.

Written and authorised by Steven Reed – President International Division

20 Ewan Street Mascot NSW 2020 Tel 61 2 8337 1111 Fax 61 2 8337 1122 Emergency Contact 0414 894 192