PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ***warning***
Thread: ***warning***
View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2006, 02:49
Charlie Rich

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hate to say it, Danny, but I feel you have become just as much an offender with this topic, and your posts, as you accuse many of those other "horrible Australians" of being guilty (of).

There's no disputing at all, that PPRuNe is your personal domain - but it is the contributors and posters who have built it to be what it is.
And although you state that you pay for the hosting etc, i notice there are a heck of a lot of advertisements, all over PPRuNe.
Having advertised my aviation forum website here - the name of which is banned - I know how very expensive those banners are.

You are certainly to be commended for growing PPRuNe into what it has become for the pilot community, and I fully concur that there are always the spammers and opportunists who try to take advantage of a site such as your's, to try to promote their product, or point of view.

BUT, that doesn't - imo - give YOU the right to issue a tirade of venom against Australians in general, which is how your posts have come across, whether you meant it that way or not.

Yes, we are a diverse lot, and we don't often sugar-coat our words when we feel strongly about particular subjects.
But we Australians understand that, and so whilst some of it might appear "coarse" and "crude" to Englishmen and other Europeans, or non-native Strine speakers, we take it in our stride.

Isn't THAT precisely one of the reasons you set up separate forums for different countries?
Knowing that those forums would more likely be frequented by countrymen of those specific forae?

I'm not excusing the spammers, or the outright personally abusive posts that I have been subjected to on occasion here, however in the Oz culture there is often a "dig" intended to get a measured degree of response to insure continued debate.

Thanks for the space on your website that allowed me to air my Aussie point of view.

Charlie Rich aka Kaptin M.