PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Armed Forces Federation (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2006, 21:26
Chugalug2

Received 236 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by FOMere2eternity
Almost_done

Senior commanders cannot understand the daily pressures to achieve the task because it's not their job to manage at the coalface. A federation could shoulder the responsibility of the SO2 level who can, in real terms, change very little, nor give honest opinions without being labelled negative or trouble makers. The frustrated faces I see at work every day are increasing and across the ranks. And before anyone says 'its their job to flag-up problems', that would be why you bravely say that from behind a career-protecting pseudonym, right?

The 'success' of JPA should be a catalyst to asking questions about how we do business, before a similar 'success' is achieved with more life-threatening equipment, against a competent opponent.

We need to think the unthinkable...
I left the RAF in 1973, I had excellent bosses who would go out on a limb for their guys. If it wasn't for the Pprune rules on anonymity, I would embarrass them all by naming them! Suffice it to mention one instance. The NAAFI sent out a senior manager from the UK to Changi because our boss had set up a separate deal with a local contractor to provide 24 hour refreshments for his first line servicing guys as the NAAFI wouldn't provide out of hours cover. The boss stood his ground, was supported by the Stn/Cdr and the practice continued long after my time, and I think until we pulled out! Why did these two officers risk their careers? Because it was their job to do so! You shouldn't need a federation if the right people were selected to command. One assumes they are not!