PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asthmatics in the RAF
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2006, 20:01
Thebigone2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Asthmatics in the RAF

I'll try and keep this brief.

I'm interested in joing the RAF as a pilot. However they specifically state no asthmatics are allowed as aircrew. I am slighlty asthmatic and it appears to only be exercised induced. When i say i am slighlty asthmatic i had not had an attack since i was 4, and not required any medication since i was 6 (I'm now 19).

However this summer something triggered it off again. And i got a really bad cough for about 2 weeks and was eventually told to start regulary taking medication again. When i suffered from this second 'attack' i was not close to passing out or anything exciting like that (it took me a week to get off my arse and go to the docs and i raced through it at the weekend - see below), i literally got a really bad dry cough and a bit of a tight chest - which didnt stop me training or racing to a high level.

I must point out that i am a racing cyclist (aka lycra louts in some circles) and have had lab tests done which show that i have very high levels of CV fitness.

Now someone i know who is ex RAF said just decline all knowledge at the medical, and lets face it i will be loads fitter than the average recruit. However he joined the RAF a fair few years ago so i was wondering whether they would have a copy of my medical records at the medical, and has anyone or does anyone know of anyone who has gone through a similar situation to me and managed to get in as aircrew?

Thanks