PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The CTC Wings Scheme thread
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2006, 17:04
JT26

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Hi all,

I'm just about to start my 2nd year at university at the tender age of 19, studying Psyschology and naturally my thoughts are somewhat occupied about what I'm going to do at the end of my 3 years (the thought of a desk job or law which is what I'm expected to go into makes me a die a little inside). I've been interested in being a commercial pilot for a number of months now having been exposed to the lifestyle by my girlfriend's mother who is a captain for BA (lucky person) and absolutely loves what she does, seeing lots of fantastic places.

Doing research and sifting through all the propaganda leaflets provided by the Aviation schools that offer Ab initio APP courses has brought me to the conclusion that they're all the best and that they all offer me a better chance of employment than each other .

Reading this thread, a lot of people seem very positive about CTC and I have a few questions. Firstly, does the fact that I have no flying experience affect my chances of entry onto CTC programme?
Secondly, does my having a host of A's and A*'s at gcse and 3 A's at A level (in Business Studies, Biology and History) put me in better or worse standing than other candidates or are the grade requirements merely a way of separating the wheat from the chaff? I also got a 1:1 in my first year so am pretty confident of at least a 2:1 after the 3 years.
Thirdly, is a Wings graduate tied to whichever airline sponsors/takes them on for type training for a number of years? If so, how many and does this bother you? Lastly, which airlines take on Wings graduates and is it common for one to stay with those airlines for an entire career?

Answers and comments to this would be most appreciated and I confess that I'm quite new to this so any help would be fantastic.

Cheers