PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA vs JAA IR, future career plan
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2006, 15:15
jemax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FAA vs JAA IR, future career plan

Hi all,

I'm relatively new in, but happy with my progress to date. I have been thinking about career progression. I read a lot about making the step from Robbie/Instructing to more serious flying (feels quite serious to me btw), I am based in the UK, but happy to travel. It seems there is going to be more of a shortage of experienced pilots, but I would like advice about how best to bridge the gap between Robbie/instructing and those with many hours and a range of flying experience.

At the moment I am about 700 hours, 100 in R44, 50 in EC120, balance R22. I have JAA ATPL exams, passed May 2005, I have been up to Aberdeen, but don't want to do UK offshore work. I am getting in 40-50 hours a month.

I could scrape together money for IR or twin and am considering doing IR before my exams time out in May 2008. I gather a lot of UK IR facilities are booked 9-12 months ahead and I wouldn't want to to do IR until I have more turbine time.

So I am hoping that in autumn 2007/spring 2008, I'll be moving towards 1500 hours 300 turbine, 700 instructing. I also enjoy the instructing very much, it's not just a means of hourbuilding to me and very much enjoy where I am working currently.

Question is can I save money by going FAA IR, then JAA IR. Or would you suggest not bothering with IR and go VFR twin instead or am I missing some other route completely that I should be considering.

I gather day rates in the UK about £250 single, £300 twin, £350 IR, seems a lot to invest in an IR for a few extra £ a day, but perhaps it will pay off in a different way down the line.

Looking forward to your views.