PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ops or crewing - which is harder ?
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2001, 18:26
JB007

PPRuNe Secret Agent!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

I find Crewing these days is more of politics than anything else...i.e
I'm amazed at how crew attitudes have changed over the years...and this has a big impact on how easy/hard the crewing job is made!

Although I haven't really been activley involved in any sort of Operations Room scenario for quite a few months, the old charactures just don't seem to be around anymore. I'm talking about guys with backgrounds in great airlines like Dan-Air or Air Europe, I suppose most have retired but they seem to have been replaced by the next generation of Pilots - and some, not all, are the biggest "pansies" i've ever come across...

You still find the odd few that want to help out when things are pear shaped or have a great attitude to the job but the overall discipline of things has really fallen...

a)Crew Time Keeping
b)Not coming for changes after flights..
c)Sickness levels
d)Claiming fatique after a few sectors (when he/she actually live 100 miles from the A/pt!)

Maybe these all sound a bit petty but they make a big difference to the poor Crewing guys/gals. Looking back at the good old days of Excalibur at EMA..god, we didn't know how lucky we were!!! I've never experianced a Crew and Crewing relationship anywhere else like it...

As someone who is about to enter the Pilot fraternity, i'm glad I've had these experiances along the way, alot of lessons learn't.

Maybe i'm just asking too much...is it just me ? Any other Crewing Depts. care to tell ?

Wibbly P,
I was with CKT in 1991/92.

[ 30 July 2001: Message edited by: JB007 ]