PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RATW copy
Thread: RATW copy
View Single Post
Old 13th Jan 2005, 19:59
John Eacott

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Cool Vertalop's post

I received the following e mail & photos to post, from Vertalop:

My internet connection is rather tenuous so I can't access PPRUNE web pages, only send a quick e-mail.

It's been a very busy day in Bandar Aceh today, with aircraft from the Singapore Armed Forces (Two Chinooks and a Super Puma), the German Navy (Three Sea Kings) the French Army (one Puma), Royal Malaysian Airforce (Two S61 Nuris), Indonesian Airforce (One Puma+), MHS (One S61N), Saba Air (One Bell 212), and Eurocopter (One Dauphin), all competing for refuelling spots on the Indonesian Military hardstand.

The grass parking area had become a mud bath with aircraft sinking in up to the axles and the hardstand a bloodbath as people fight for the attention of the one fuel bowser. The football field has seen the now normal hectic loading of U.S. Seahawk, Australian Blackhawk and UH1 and various other types, while the main apron has had several visits from U.S, CH53s. The U.K. Army contingent of (Bristow/FBH) Bell 212s from Brunei also got airborne from Ozzie lines.

On the fixed wing front the impressive sight of US and UK C17 reversing into their tight parking spots has been incredible.

Tomorrow is going to be even more interesting as the new helicopter air-traffic system is put into operation. All helicopters will refuel on the civilian side of the airport and then reposition to one of three locations on the military side for loading. All helicopter traffic will be co-ordinated by the excellent Australian controllers assisted by the Indonesian ATC. A common frequency of 129.3 will be used for all helicopter movements so that it will not even be necessary to listen out on the tower frequency of 122.2. In fact 129.3 has been in use for all helicopter movements on the military side for some time, but obviously not all pilots are aware of this as various aircraft still turn up unannounced. I think that the change of procedures tomorrow will be a very big surprise for some crews who operate on the civilian side at present and do not attend any of the daily military briefings. The new traffic pattern (for aircraft not coming from the refuel pad) involves crossing the runway at its midpoint and passing overhead the football field at 500ft and then letting down to one of the loading locations in ether a left or right pattern, depending on the wind. Departures will be routed so as to cross the runway centreline at 300ft a safe distance out, thus deconflicting with fixed wing movements.

I'll try and attach a pic of the "TNI Ramp" at 11am today.

Vertalop