PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying in Oz - A320 Captain
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2006, 21:52
DirkRose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Flying in Oz - A320 Captain

Hello....

Hopefully the right forum for this, I apologies if it isnt! I was unable to locate any useful information in the archives with a search.

For the past week I have had the pleasure of flying with a captain who is very keen to find employment in Australia. Although I grew up in Oz, I have now been in Europe for almost 4 years and was therefore not able to offer much useful advice on the employment situation in Australia! Because he does not currently have internet access I am writing this post for him!

He recently completed some sort of online immigration survey where he was required to tick various boxes to test his elligibility to work in Australia. Naturally of the 200 or so professions to choose from pilot was not one listed. (If you are a Hair Dresser or an oil tanker captain then youre in luck however, Australia is desperate for them!)

He was originally an engineer. He now has the following licence and flying experience:

JAA Airline Transport Pilot’s License
FAA, Airline Transport Pilot License
Swiss, Airline Transport Pilot License
Kingdom of Saudi Arabia Pilot License

HS 125 500 Command 100
BAC 1-11 2000 Command 100
Gulfstream IV SP 1100 Command 500
Airbus A320 3600 Command 3100

If there is indeed a shortage of experienced pilots in Australia does he stand a chance in Australia? Are there any pilots here who have been in a similar situation and been successful?

Would greatly appreciate any info/advice you can give him!

Cheers!

DR

Last edited by DirkRose; 11th Sep 2006 at 11:47.