PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So who should pay for this error?
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2006, 16:57
theresalwaysone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Running Starts

Running Starts
Thought some of you might be interested in this

##Taken from THE ASK CAPTAIN JON WEB SITE
____________________________________________________________ ____
RUNNING STARTS

I have just changed flying schools and my last school would not allow me to start the engine till the instructor was on board, the new school expects me to start the engine and wait for my instructor to climb on board, any comments

Thank you Bob

Your second school seems to have lower standards, let me explain my policy;

No pilot should ever start an engine and run it before everyone is on board in the same way no pilot should allow anyone to leave an aircraft with the engine(s) still running, not only is this common sense but also basic airmanship.

Many propeller accidents have occurred because of non-adherence to the above (and occasionally 'run forwards' into other aircraft.)

Allowing 'running starts' sets a very bad example to students and teaches them that this unsafe practice is acceptable.

Having seen the result of an accident where a pilot lost his footing and fell forward onto the propeller of an aircraft, which took his arm off, I would strongly urge all instructors to ban running starts as our Pilots Order Book does.

With normal operations there is never a justifiable reason to get into or out of an aircraft with the engine(s) running. Our students are briefed, as per The Flying Order Book, to prepare the aircraft for start but not to start it until the instructor is on board; the difference is less than 30 seconds.

Professional responsible instruction is about ensuring that students are disciplined in the formation of practices that will keep them safe throughout their flying careers.

Many instructors do not understand that it their responsibility to not only teach a student pilot to be able to handle an aircraft but also to be able to employ discipline and airmanship skills that will keep them safe throughout the rest of their flying careers.

My advice to you is never start an aircraft engine until everyone is on board and always shut down before anyone vacates the aircraft.

ASK CAPTAIN JON?

____________________________________________________________ ___