PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod crash in Afghanistan Tech/Info/Discussion (NOT condolences)
Old 9th Sep 2006, 15:52
AgentSmithMatrix

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Always_broken_in_wilts
Apologies if this post is off thread but the individual in question is an utter twerp who has plagued the Chinook thread with his idiotic inaccuracies, another of which I wish to highlight here.

ASM posted the following:-

The Operation details would and SHOULD be a secret so other operations are not compromised.
Hence the cover story.

With Special Forces people on board it is likely the aircraft could have been operating at any height. Afghani reports say the aircraft was high 10,000ft (see quote above)That is within the range of a Stinger missile. The flares could have been trying to decoy a number of missiles being fired by the Taliban.

Latest reports say the Nimrod had just refuelled. Why is this piece of information suddenly added ?

Cazatou then chimpishly berates him with following:-

I feel that you are somewhat deluded regarding your concept of UK Military Operations and totally ignorant with regard to British Military Aircraft and their capabilities.

The only way you would be able to deploy "Special Forces" from a Nimrod would be to load them in the Weapons Bay and drop them out at what seemed a suitable moment: this, of course, would be totally against the "Health & Safety at Work Act"and would require several months of negotiation, training and assessment by the various regulatory bodies introduced over the last few years before even a limited assessment of required modifications to both Men and Equipment could be forthcoming yadda yadda yadda.

I have already asked Caz to explain to me where in ASM’s post does he allude to the SF guys being deployed from the Nimrod because I sure as hell can’t see it and I would bet my mortgage no one else can either .

Caz you are not only an arse but an ignorant and ill informed arse at that, a fact that you have proved time and time again on the Chinook thread. I KNOW of at least two types that regularly carry “special” people for the specific purpose of liaising with their peers via “special” comms during Op’s and I suspect this is exactly what ASM, bearing in mind it was also suggested by the media, was getting at

all spelling mistakes are "df" alcohol induced
Thank you 'always_U/S_in_Wiltshire'. I think this 'Catbalou' chap sounds a bit strange.

Of course I did not mean the Nimrod would be deploying Special Forces, but had them on board for their local knowledge. Having men with knowledge on the ground would be sensible if the stated video system was fitted to the said Nimrod. Possibly able to speak some local Afghan dialects and spent some time looking like locals their terrain knowledge I would assume to be invaluable. Notice that not all of the victims had their photographs published?

I think the comments by 'Sennreps' more to the point:-
"Most of you are having a good go at the media, and quite rightly so. They have been doing this for years. But don’t forget they do this with “ALL” stories. You are all having a dig because you understand the subject being talked about. Most of you however, choose to accept the views of the Media (BBC) when you are not totally gen’d up on a particular news item. If it was an article on a subject that you know nothing about, you tend to believe it totally – why? - because most people in this country believe everything they are told. That is why the newspapers will continue to be sold and most people will watch BBC, ITN,or Sky news to get info. And by the way “Most people love speculation!!!!”
The main thing that annoys me is the way Dez Browne and the Government are so keen to say that it was not caused by hostile action. He said yesterday that we must not speculate, yet whet straight on to say that it was “probably” not caused by hostile fire. I might be thick – but is that not speculation???
If it was not by hostile fire, can they wash their hands of any responsibility?????.
I don’t care if it was hostile fire or an accident. The fact is that friends and families are hurting because they are no longer with us.
Finally, yes I have had a few and quite frankly I am sick of loosing friends and colleagues from our Royal Air Force. My thoughts go to all involved in this sad loss.

Indeed, I think it is possible to speculate about any number of technical issues. Not hostile fire? Is that not the same as saying "we know it was a technical problem?" Note the first news reports said Mechanical Failure and not electrical fault causing fire.

It would not surprise me that the incident was subject to the cost cutting measures of an accountants pen ? Where have we heard that before ?

Someone brought up the issue of the Chinook.

Did anybody answer why a helicopter was used on a flight from Belfast to Scotland ? Did it need to land somewhere en-route ?

I am sure there are more issues at stake with regard to the Nimrod than things purely technical ?