PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bell X-Hawk
Thread: Bell X-Hawk
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2006, 06:18
Graviman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dave,

The real point being made here is that no system without mechanical control can achieve the analytical 1E-9 failsafe requirement. I had forgotten FBW has mechanical backup (actually this also highlights why i think the mechanical Lockheed gyro system should be the norm - but that is another thread).

Agreed that a rescue platform is a good objective for rotorcraft engineers, but it has to be safe enough to generate a market. I have similary wondered about a firefighting platform which consisted of a conventional rotorcraft with turboshaft driven feed pump supplying water from the ground, to overcome cavitation. This means the machine could stay on the spot and deliver a huge quantity of water to a given point. Obviously the head feed pump would need to be built into a truck or van, capable of carrying water or connecting to a water supply. Well it's on the web now...

The real question to ask here is how to calculate, and more importantly demonstrate, that an electrical system really meets 1E-9 failsafe requirement. A TP with Nick's experience will justifiably shy away from any development program until that basic criterion can be met - something about fools going where angels fear to tread?

Mart