PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod plane crash in Afghanistan - Condolences thread (no tech or update info)
Old 8th Sep 2006, 23:08
euringineer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Brothers Tale

Gez was my little brother and visited me on CXX in 1976 when i was a Flt Eng.Alas he couldnt fly due to blocked ears,but he discovered the Carlton got threatened but rescued by me and Nick Green,we were stalwarts of the Rugby team and took no prisoners!!I thought then this is an omen for him not to become Aircrew.3 years later he enlists for A TECH Training at Halton.7 years later Cpl Bell applies for Flt Eng,as usual gets selected for AeOP,FAR TOO QUALIFIED FOR ENG AS HE IS HALTON TRAINED!!!He had to try his best to convert his electro-mechanical brain to accept the training and all us ENGs would have struggled as AeOPs.He made a good effort so i was proud of his stamina.
We are from a RAF FAMILY,so you could say that Gez being born in a RAF Hospital(ELY) was already at an early stage of RAF developement.He spent most of his childhood on RAF stations and when not playing was probably with my Dad on his section or drinking coke in the SGTs Mess.He eventually knew the RAF inside out which explains his impatience with the administration of his career.I am afraid the RAF did not know or appreciate his inside.He gave a gruff outside impression but he was a very thoughtful caring person.Unknown to most was his committment to the Catholic Church where he was appointed a Special Eucharistic Minister for the Royal Air Force.He could administer Holy Communion to fellow Christians.Few are chosen so as a family we were very proud.I hope he is enjoying his posting to Heaven!!!
Many happy memories of a great brother and friend.Always a wise counsel and good social company.He was too young to join me in my mess on HMS Dreadnought in my former life but he would have done me proud on a "Ships Visit"We grieve very much for him and wish you could have seen his more gentle side.He was a very popular "Uncle" at our many family "Hoolies"(Influenced by our mothers Cork Naval background,she was a wartime Wren)The nephews will miss his banter and drinking prowess.
Hope all the other families are slowly overcoming their grief.It will be a long slog and the wait for the funerals will be hard.Our family will pray for you all as well as our dear Gerard and hope some good will come of this disaster in our lives.
I had the honour of Ade on my B747 Flight Deck from Hannover to Ul Edied on his outbound deployment flight.Cannot believe it was the last time i saw him,dressed up in the theatre equipment.It did strike me what a DIFFERENT role the Nimrod is in now.I did not like it!!
Good luck to all Nimrod Crews especially the Falcons

Ex Falcon Crew 6