PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ***warning***
Thread: ***warning***
View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2006, 22:24
Sunfish

Received 90 Likes on 33 Posts
For the record Danny, I respectfully suggest that you are way out of line on this matter because you don't understand the territory.

For a start, this is not "little Britain' full of cosy little villages and "farm strips" for weekend warriors.

When we are talking about Jandakot, Point Cook, Essendon, Evans Head and elsewhere, we are talking about very major bits of relatively scarce infrastructure. Jandakot is the only "full service" GA airport for a thousand miles. Australia is not covered with large concrete runways and the impact of closure or movement will have a major impact on professional and recreational pilots alike.

Moorrabbin and Point Cook (don't know about Jandakot) have schools that train hundreds of Asian (professional) pilots per year, but of course you wouldn't know that. Almost all GA airports in major cities are under pressure from property developers, but you wouldn't know that either. Changes to these places will have major and continuing impact on Aviation at all levels.

Similarly, it appears even from my own limited experience that aviation downunda is a little more closely connected then perhaps it is in Britain, and some of the "Idle Talk" you read on these pages is actually code.

If you wish to restrict your forum to professional pilots go right ahead, but in doing so in my opinion you will lose considerable content and value because there are people like myself and others who don't know much about being a professional pilot, but who have had some modest exposure to the aviation business and are able to answer some of the (occasionaly asinine) questions professional pilots ask about their industry that no one else can.

I am happily a weekend warrior, (puffs out chest and gets on high horse) I've worked as airline engineering staff, government consultant responsible in part for getting more investment and jobs into aviation and aerospace, a development manager for a major aerospace company. I've run a few businesses and worked for a few Boards, and I happen to think that every one of my contributions is pure gold

Translation: Leave it to the local Woomeri Danny, they seem to do a reasonable job!