PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'Meet the ATCOPILOT'
View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2006, 21:09
Tarq57

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
The (implied) level bust is probably a typo- 2000ft does not equal 1800M.
Look, I sure don't disagree with the idea of a universal TA, or anything else that is likely to improve safety. But I seriously wonder about the cost of introducing metrication in relation to altitudes. Aside from the fact that the use of feet is a deviation from international non-aviation convention, what is wrong with continuing to use them?
Not a great analogy, but if the world decided to standardise driving rules so all country's road rules were "keep left" (or right), how many fatalities would there be before everybody was retrained and adopted the new rule as a habit?
It seems that a fair bit of your inclination toward metrication might have stemmed from frustration with UK altimeter setting proceedures. Down here in godzone ours aren't nearly so complex, so I don't know what that might be like. But I do think fix one thing at a time. I've seen multiple changes brought in at times - sometimes from necessity (eg equipment/systems change), sometimes because of a "grand scheme" - and the results for the first 2 or 3 months after such a change has been a significantly increased incident rate. So I'm not dead against all your sugggestions, there's just no way I want to have to go through the three times table every time I assign a level.