PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Incorrect Lift Theory
View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2006, 13:21
theresalwaysone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by portsharbourflyer
Why a wing produces lift? there several theories, however I am probably not the best qualified to comment which is most valid. Anyway whichever explanation you believe there will always be someone who can provide a counter argument and this is something that could be discussed forever.

Mingal, the theory the ppl technical exam recognises for wing lift has always been incorrect since ppl training began. The way I approach the subject is to explain this is what you are required to learn for the exam, but please be aware that it isn't strictly correct, but I would avoid explaining any other theory due to the complexity involved and it would just generally confuse the student. I prefer teach to accurate facts rather than just teaching people to pass an exam, but in this instance it is unavoidable.
With respect, what a bizzare statment! You say in one line you only teach what is required for the exam and then on the next line you state you prefer to teach accurate facts rather than just teach people to pass an exam, I would say that is a gross contradiction wouldnt you!?

How is the technical exam incorrect, please explain what theory it supports that makes you say QUOTE the theory the ppl technical exam recognises for wing lift has always been incorrect since ppl training began. I cannot see any questions in the exam papers that supports this statement.
(Just a small point but PPL training has been going a lot longer that the technical exam!)

Teaching basic aerodynamics dosnt requires COMPLEXITY just a spoon under a tap,a garden hose or the example of a door slaming shut with a draught. Teaching top surface pressure velocity relationship teaches students to respect clean wings in icing conditions and thats when lack of understanding of aerodynamic theory can bite very hard! Do you teach that?