PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas plans next strike at pilots
View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2006, 12:37
Bumpfoh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

This may be old hat but next time one of these people from management decide to address the staff or the press about pay and conditions the following should be asked of them.

When was the last time, if at all, you worked;

on the weekend

at night (and that means all night and multiple ones in a row not just one)

on your birthday or your spouses'/childrens' birthday with no chance of seeing them on that day or any day remotely close to that day

on Christmas day/night, New Years or Easter or any other public holiday for that matter (and ditto above)

Routinely decline social events with family or friends who don't work shift work or a rostered pattern ( the vast majority of employees and managers) because of your work commitments.

I'm sure there are others that don't spring to mind right now but when my manager/s can assure me he does all of the above year in, year out then I may give them some consideration to their constant calls of "you get paid too much in the way of base rate and penalty rates yada yada yada"

(Tid Edit): Language!
I appreciate most shift workers choose to work where they do but traditionally a penalty payment offset the above inconveniences/sacrifices.
To have these penalties and rates of pay come under constant attack will see many leave the sections of industries that rely on shift workers, particullay aviation, more often the ones who you can ill afford to loose

Last edited by Tidbinbilla; 9th Sep 2006 at 04:34. Reason: Mind your language!