PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SHANNON
Thread: SHANNON
View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2006, 11:33
asianfly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saw this story in today's Irish Independent. Fail to see what all the fuss is about....the bar was more or less deserted whenever I was passing through, and I guess the early transatlantic departures means most pax will settle for a cup of tea/coffee rather than a pint or an Irish coffee. There is a pretty good caferteria on both pre-check in and post check in which seem to do the trick. Any SNN regulars got any thoughts?

Airport home of the Irish coffee grounded for life

SHANNON Airport has called time on its only public bar.

It had been planned that Marsh Point Bar would close from next Monday but that was brought forward to last night, said airport sources.

"We are heading back to old days when the airport was like a ghost town, one airport worker said last night.

A formal statement is expected from Shannon Airport Authority today.

It will cause irreparable damage to the airport while several shops and another bar in the departures lounge may also be shut down, a Clare TD claimed.

Fine Gael's Pat Breen expressed concern yesterday that the airport authority had planned to close the Marsh Point Bar.

"I have been informed that last night was the last night the Marsh Point Bar would be open," he added.

"It is astonishing that the airport, which made the world famous Irish Coffee a household name, will no longer be serving them to visitors arriving in the country.

"The closure of the Marsh Point Bar will turn Shannon Airport into another friendless, anonymous airport with reduced facilities.

"This creates a bad impression for passengers arriving into the airport late at night who can't even order a sandwich or sample a pint of Guinness or the world famous Irish Coffee.

"It makes a nonsense of the airport being voted Irish Airport of the Year over the past two years."

Cllr Patricia McCarthy also slammed the move, saying she has never seen such mismanagement in her life. "Shannon is supposed to be seeing better days but there is no self management. Passengers will not be able to even get a cup of tea before 9am or after 9pm."