PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod plane crash in Afghanistan - Condolences thread (no tech or update info)
Old 8th Sep 2006, 09:38
studs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saddened But Very Very Proud...

...I’ve just spent the last hour reading all the kind words and messages, all the while trying to swallow the lump in my throat and fighting the welling tears.

On Saturday the shock of hearing that one of our ‘Mighty Hunters’ had crashed was totally numbing. This was an aircraft I’d flown in and taken for granted for over six years, and what I heard took time to sink in…my shock then turned to fear as I realised that ex colleagues and perhaps friends could be lost.

Fears were realised on Sunday when I learned that ex colleagues like Gary Q, Steve B and Gary A, and a long time family friend like Gez were gone.

The fear has given way to pain and sadness, and I’m really quite shocked how much I’ve been moved by this terrible event. As I write this however, I can at least afford a smile because I knew them and I can picture them, and you know; they’re all smiling and they’ll never be forgotten.

Sympathies to the families of the para and the marine, while my heart truly goes out to the families of the twelve men of CXX at this most difficult time; your loss might seem unbearable but you can be justly proud because RAF Aircrew are a very special breed. I thought I left ‘one twenty’ years ago…but it seems I never did!

For Fiona and the Girls…thinking of you.

P & J, x

Many thanks to idle jack (another ex CXX) for bringing this forum to my attention.