PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The TNT B737 EMA/Birmingham incident thread
Old 8th Sep 2006, 01:09
Human Factor
Couldonlyaffordafiver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I must admit that I haven't read the whole thread. I've read and heard a bit of what happened, enough to be a little concerned. Anyway:

Maybe that neither of the crew recognised the situation...
If I'm right in saying that they "arrived" a few yards to the side of the runway at EMA, they ****** ought to have recognised that situation, possibly due to the slight vibration on touchdown!! I've operated on the hazy side of awake in the past (possibly when I shouldn't - hands up anyone else out there.....) but I haven't missed a runway so far.

There are procedures in force and I'm being deliberately careful not to be specific. If an aeroplane is placarded as Cat 1, the chances are it's probably like that for a reason. Even if it isn't, there are sufficient provisos (gotchas?) within SOPs for Cat 3 type ops which will be enough to warn the most "entertaining" of individuals. At the end of the day, they had enough fuel to get to BHX with a wrecked aeroplane. To me, that means they had enough fuel to get to BHX with a good aeroplane and sit there and think about it.

There are a few issues here which bear further investigation (and no doubt will get just that).