PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Did You Fly The Vulcan?? (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2006, 17:08
PPRuNeUser0139

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pontius Navigator
Coal hole it was.
The Shack was sheer luxury. Properly upholstered leather seats and windows with a view.
It must be me but I'm sorry, your understanding of the term 'sheer luxury' is clearly waaay different to my memory of it.
I always thought the Shack experience was somewhat akin to getting airborne in an uninsulated potting shed with a broken window in a howling gale in winter, with a 1.2kw bar heater..
Fold in the constant maddening growl of the Griffon, an occasional icy blast up one's right leg when the bomb doors were opened to throw stores in the oggin, an atmosphere composed of Erinmore Ready Rubbed, ungodly fumes from the Elsan and the galley, and yes - only 5 and a half hours to go...
You mention the view.. I'm afraid that once you've seen the North Sea from 2000', the experience is not enhanced by endless hours of repetition!
Without being sat in a comfortable leather armchair, I concede that all of the above could otherwise have been construed as a violation of one's human rights. What would be the opposite of sensory deprivation..? We used to suffer from sensory overload - noise, cold, heat, vibration & smells.
There was only one area that suffered from sensory deprivation and that was the 7" radar screen..!
Now back to our regular programming...
sv