PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Leaving" or "Left" Altitudes (ATC'ers pls)
Old 7th Sep 2006, 10:22
Icarus2001

Received 247 Likes on 107 Posts
Thanks Pirate, aaargghhhhh. That is what I was after.

And a big thank you to *Lancer* and triadic for castigating me for being verbose and adding "when ready" to my read back. I will however continue to add this to differentiate my clearance to descend "when ready" from an instruction to "descend" now. Thanks all the same. Call me recalcitrant but I also call "ready in turn" when it is not required. It does seem to help the nice man in the tower as last week they lined one up and cleared the next in line to take off whilst he was at the holding point, "in turn" helps oil the wheels just as "when ready" oils the wheels and clarifies the clearance, as mentioned by APMR above.

What if the ATC radar was to now fail?
What the en route and the TAR? Well as happened a couple of months ago in ML the whole system grinds to a halt.

I really did not want to get in to the left/leaving pedantry as even the people who write the bloody manuals can't be consistent. It is interesting that different TCUs around the country seem to operate slightly differently with regard to expecting a "left FL180" call.