PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aeronautical Engineering course
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2006, 21:51
roman757nose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Hi Futureng, BEST OF LUCK at Salford University.

From Day One you will meet some experts in their fields, but some Task Masters too even though at the end of the course you will be thanking all of them. Dr Y Noguchi may have retired now but if he hasn't (I graduated in 2003) I have never met a more conscientious Year Tutor; however in the modules he teaches / taught you are made to work hard for this gentleman who is / was the principal Royal Aeronautical Society contact and who could advise you from the cost of a Boeing 747-400ERF ($183m) to the purpose behind serrated-circular as opposed to standard-circular turbofan exhaust-outlets and the purposes served by both. Moving to Dr T Rahulan, an expert in all fields be prepared to work very hard to impress, however it is worth it in the end. Whatever you want to know about anything on the Boeing 747-400ERF aircraft as opposed to the standard B747-400 is known by Dr Rahulan; I thought extremely highly of him and still do so I hope you get to meet him. (N.B. Ask him about the "N.E. Rowe Awards" if you would like to take part in an interesting Year One challenge.) Dr A H Jones (who I asked you to say Hi to) wouldn't know a Boeing 747-400ERF from a B747-400 if either was to fly suspiciously low over Newton Building (at Salford Uni) but is both a brilliant Physicist and Mathematician rolled into one - you will find him very useful & he was Head of Department when I graduated.

GREATS : Ex-RAF Jet Provost aircraft airframe + powerplant in Newton Building which you will work with during laboratory exercises plus a full wind-tunnel testing facility.

NOT SO GREATS : Advice to you is STICK to Pure Aero Engineering - in fact set yourself this goal on Day One: "Complete the course, using all available resources which you feel you need to with which to achieve this single aim." Do not become inclined towards any of the "Business Systems" BSc courses at Salford as I had friends on Aerospace Business Systems who had an appalling experience studying on that course!! Lecturers who knew nothing about aircraft let alone a Boeing 747-400ERF / B747-400 & how much either costs, plus no employment prospects in the Aerospace Industry upon graduation - one person did but three years later he is training to be a teacher having lost his sales-environment job. Another friend is a Museum Curator - says it all really. Appalling course taught by otherwise redundant teaching staff.

Stick to Pure Aero and set your goal; REMAIN DETERMINED from Day One. It will be worth it and if you need any advice then feel free to give me a shout . BEST OF LUCK!!