PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AusFIC - Could THIS be the beginning of the demise of???
Old 6th Sep 2006, 03:54
Ex FSO GRIFFO

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts
Well Icarus,

Thanks for THAT rather obvious query.......
I wonder if I would have thought of that - eventually...?

Being an 'ex' means that I do know how the 'system' works - or doesn't work -so I tend to use it accordingly.
e.g. I do BUY current maps and charts / amendments etc at the INFLATED PRICES the ASA monopoly sets and INSISTS we carry - but only what I actually use / need - For Safety of course.

Why not a 'COST-ONLY- PRICE'???

VFR Doesn't pay????
Remember when...a WAC cost less than $2...???
And VTC's, ERSA's etc were FREE...???
Because it is 'REQUIRED' information??

And, I do leave 'SARTIME" and FULL DETAILS / CONTACTS with 'MUM' - it works for me - she KNOWS who to ring & what to do etc etc...ITS FREE!!!

However, at the Aero club from which I mostly fly, I do see students being taught the 'vagaries' of 'the system' (and other pilots who do not have convenient computer access) and inserting their phone cards and spending their money...

And, this younger generation of pilots will never know the 'old' system of being able to attend a manned briefing office, and receive a personal 'over the counter' briefing on weather / NOTAMs / Flight Plan education / perusal / checking etc etc....did you NEVER receive a little green 'Smiley' on your Flight Plan????

ALL FOR FREE!!!!!

Yeah, I know those days are GORN - NEVER to return - and now we DO pay - and pay extravagantly for all of the above......

So, Mate(?), when next you get into your acft and go for a little VFR cross country fly, remember the items you HAVE TO carry, where you got them, how much you paid for them, and then, tell me it is free!!!!!

Yes - You can call FW - ask for the Area QNH - thats now being 'discouraged' - oh, but, that's still free.....