PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tonsillectomy and work?
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2006, 20:47
tart1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This may not be relevant to you at all ... but just a contribution.

I had my tonsils out at the age of 9 (in 1967) when 9 was considered fairly elderly for this op. Predictably, I got an infection and was very ill for several weeks.

Once I was over the infection, I was extremely well. After years of being a fragile child, prone to many bouts of tonsillitis and other infections, I was blooming with health. After years of not eating much and being thin and frail, I suddenly began eating like a horse.

I would say that the op was a total success except that I have been prone to throat infections all my adult life and I developed late-onset asthma after having pneumonia in 1989. Who knows what the effect of having my tonsils out was. Maybe it has made me healthier ... maybe not.

It certainly appeared to have a good effect on me during my teenage years, but since then - I am not sure. I do know that the operation is painful and and can take quite a while to get over.

My 18 year-old son has had similar problems and our doctor decided it was best to leave well alone. Only time will tell whether this is the correct approach with him.