PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maths and Physics knowledge req'd for ATPL and airline flying?
Old 5th Sep 2006, 18:25
Stall Inducer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Many people make a big issue of needing rocket science Maths and Physics to become a pilot. In short you don't - if you attend a reasonably good ground school they will teach you everything you need to know, and refresh the basics as you go along and also the tricks and short cuts to work out the answers. For example RYR 738 gives an example of a requirement to work out the rate of decent for an approach - in reality in commercial aviation most approaches are based on a 3 degree slope where by multiplying you ground speed by 5 you will come out with the same answer as 738 gives by using a longer process.
On a practicle scale day to day I use my 3 times table to work out track miles required in descent add a few miles if you've got a tailwind minus a few if you've got a headwind - it's not an in exact science so an ability to look at numbers and think I'm at 40,000ft I'm expecting to start descent around 120nm out means you won't find yourself overhead your destination still at cruise altitiude just because you mis programmed the FMC.
Comming from someone who's not great at Maths I really didn't find the ATPL exams to be a problem (just scrapped a 'C' grade at GCSE)