PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2006, 16:23
cougar77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nigerian Lifestyle

Hi to all,
Being a newbie here, i really cant comment much as i have not been to this part of the world but to stay on the sidelines. After reading all the posts here, perhaps i can offer a fresh view as a 3rd party based on my observations.

Firstly, the abductions, kidnapping, attacks, killings etc are the affairs of the country/state beyond the control of companies, management or employees.

However, the safety and welfare of the employees IMHO is within the control of the company/management as in the safety and well being of the passengers lies with the crew and state of the aircraft with the maintenance personnel. Basic needs like accomodation and facilities can be better improved for all especially in a place where personal security cannot be guaranteed. This is within the control of management where it can make a huge difference.

That being said, striving to achieve a relationship based on trust and respect between all should be a common goal towards the health and wealth of the company where all have a part to play. It should not be forgotten that, those that have been there 10, 15 or 20 years there contributed towards the existence of operations there. These are the very guys that break-in and showed the ropes to newbies (hopefully myself included if offered a job) for the continued operations for years to come...understand that there soon will be or already is a worldwide shortage of a highly skilled profession - "Helicopter Pilots" where the cost of getting a licence/rating is ever increasing.

With the rising cost coupled with the marginal increases in salaries, its no wonder why most would opt for an airline career. Its just a matter of time where suitably qualified experienced Helicopter Pilots will fall in the same category as the endangered species.

I was told that with happy and contended employees, turnover would be low, effective and efficient operations with high production...something like that. In summary, everyone benefit$ - is this really the case as i might be awfully wrongly mis-informed.

bristowmanagement - I assume you are management. Heard some rumours on this thread and seek clarification.

1.Are there helicopters sitting on the ramp due to shortage of crew?
2.Other than the "new superb local allowance" which you mentioned, what else is on the cards as i am not too certain that this would be the one and only demand factor.
3.Understand that your employment door is open as you mentioned "once we can persuade enough people to come here". Would you be so kind as to elaborate persuasion? $$$
4.Could i be given the opportunity to be persuaded.