PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mobile phone flight mode
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2006, 13:08
ExSimGuy

Sims Fly Virtually

Location: Used to be 3rd Sand Dune from the Left - But now I'm somewhere else somewhere else.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem with "taking the battery out"

I totally agree with Mr. Hog of Hampshire, about the advisability of keeping mobiles off - I religeously switch mine off when I get to the boarding ramp, and don't switch it on until I'm inside the airport (or, usually when flying in USA, when the crew tell us we can switch on). I have posted several times before on this subject (having an aircraft background, as well as being reasonably knowledgable about radio, especially UHF/VHF)

However,the problem is with these PDA-phones; I have switched mine into "flight mode" when flying (i.e. - mobile radio OFF) but not previously considered that, as a computing device, with a clock oscillator running at 400 MHz, and several divided-down frequencies, all square-waves giving all odd-multiples of every frequency in there!

But should I do a complete back-up of all non-volatile data and programs in RAM before I fly??? This is what I'd have to do if I removed the battery!

Did I make a mistake in buying the Qtek 9020 ("Functionally identical to i-mate Pocket PC, O2 XDA II, T-Mobile MDA II and Orange SPV M1000") ?

I'd be very interested in any thoughts on this, maybe from other owners of these models, - especially as I'm shortly flying into UK for the GatBash, and then out to USA (with asociated baggage rules, that might mean it being consigned to the checked suitase!) the next morning.