PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sad week for Australia
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2006, 12:59
cl12pv2s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, none of us here (heli-pilots) can say that we are above taking risks. Right, we try to minimise the risks by flying safely, adhereing to rules etc..etc.. but at the end of the day, our profession includes embedded risk. And with that risk, we must accept the consequences.

Yes, it is very sad when things go wrong. Yes, the loss of anyone is sad, and sadder still is the plight of those loved ones he left behind. Here is where my sympathy ends.

Our man in question was a person who took (and accepted) risks in his field. It got him a name and a reputation...he did a lot of good for conservation and wildlife. He lived a fruitful life. It is sad to see it ended. No one can argue those points.

However, anyone persuing high-risk interests has to be accountable for their own success or demise. Do they deserve praise for taking those risks, or sympathy when things go badly...no neither really. It's their choice.
A couple of other points:

Selfish or not?- Those involved in high-risk sports / pastimes have to consider others, as well as themselves. Steve leaves behind a family, who will be suffering at this moment. My thoughts are with them.

Attenborough vs Erwin?: Is this serious? This is like comparing the Apollo astronauts with the shuttle guys! No, not even worth comparing. Let it be said though, that like Cousteau and Gagarin, Attenborough will always be considered the pioneer in this field. An accolade no one can take away from him.

Taking baby to meet Mr. Croc? Who are we to say that this was wrong. It was his baby, and I dare say that he was way more qualified to make a judgement on that than you or I.

Stingray's fault or Irwin's? - Well, stingrays are well known to be pretty passive if not aggrevated. As a diver instructor, I tell students not to touch the wildlife...to give them their space and you'll generally be OK. I would say this has got to be 'pilot induced error' through and through.

So, let's be mindful and respectful to those who are mourning their loss. That's where the real sadness is...where our thoughts should go. Some of the previous comments on this thread have been totally unnecessary.

However, let's not make this man out to be anything more than a very good performer, but one who took risks, knew the risks, and if asked now, would admit and accept the risks. He wasn't the 'most intelligent man alive'. He was an performer with a passion.

cl12pv2s

Last edited by cl12pv2s; 6th Sep 2006 at 02:00.