PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Desert Storm Wild Weasel tales?
View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2006, 07:33
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Brick, when did the F100 start weaselling?

I recall a 'must read' int rep about 1966 I guess about an unidentified FJ over 'nam.

It was must read as it was a first account, at least to us, on effective SA2 evasion.

The article started off in the usual way - telegraph pole on end of smoke trail at 10 o'clock. Turned towards, rolled, pulled and out manouevred the SA2. This impressed the hell out of us (not - as in a Vulcan there was no way we would have wanted to give that a go*). The report continued a bit like your Balaclava quote.

After 3 or 4 we started over and started counting. After 10 it was boots off and continuing. Then socks. In all this jock evade 21 SA2 in short order. It was also significant that there was no mention of evasion after about 12-15 missiles.

I have no clue whether the guy was a weasel but he would certainly have had problems getting into a flight suit with balls that big.

The article would have been in the Defense Intelligence Digest which you might be able to track down.

(*I guess if we had been in the right place, wrong time, with enough height, and my skipper remembered the article, we might just have tried this - nothing to lose)