PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Home of Photos in Dunnunda! Mk I
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2006, 22:05
sixtiesrelic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those of you who flew the "Three" and the ones who wish they could...

The "bubble window" (something none of us ever saw) is magic for looking out forward through the engine and airframe or back to where you've come from as well as straight down.

Country people flocked for a joyflight. Here people of Deniliquin board for a sunset flight.

Believe it or not THIS is the aircraft owner and managing director of the company... Most of us might dream of taking on such a project but wouldn't go through with the dream... HE did.

Clicked just as she backfired

A young bloke came and looked her over. He said ,"He wouldn't want to fly such an old hunk of junk... He was getting checked out on a Bandit or something similar soon.
Passed through my mind to answer... "And how many hours do you have now?"
Then point out, "Son when ya've got double digits in your thousands of hours you'll sit up one day and wonder what all the scrambling up the heap was about.
You've never really FLOWN an aeroplane, because in modern hi performance aircraft you don't fly 'em, you OPERATE them and the time in lighties you were taught to pretend they were high performance.
The Auto pilot flys them, all pilots do is program them and monitor the systems.
One day you'll remember us and realize, we've had what you dreamed of before you embarked on your career.
We started out "flying", did our years "operating" and finished up in the classic old Gooney which doesn't even have an auto pilot... and you know, after poling the old girls around the sky for hours, you are more relaxed when you step down than you are on shorter flights in jets.
For those who don't believe me check out how many ex airline blokes own real aeroplanes!
A couple of weeks ago I was at a get together of those blokes and there were a couple of RAA aircraft, 3 Chipmunk, Tiger Moth, Auster, Cherokee, Bonanza, Cessna 180, Cessna 310, Beech 18, Shrike Commander and Mustang owners and they were flying their aircraft for the pleasure of themselves and us on the ground.